I had a bit of a harvest from my garden the other evening. I picked the first roma and globe tomatoes, as well as some jalapenos and the first 3 cayenne peppers that finally turned red. I only had about 3 pounds of tomatoes, but I wanted to make some salsa.
harvested peppers + onions & garlic from farmer's market and CSA box
There is a recipe on page 169 for Charred Tomato and Chile Salsa that I wanted to try. It called for 3 pounds of tomatoes, 8 ounces of jalapenos (it said red, but I used green). Those were the exact amounts I had just picked. It also called for garlic, onions, cider vinegar, salt and a little sugar. I had everything on hand, so it was time to start!
First I halved and cored the tomatoes. I then placed them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
I broiled them about 4 inches from the broiler for about 10 minutes until they were charred looking.
Then they went into a bowl to cool until I could handle them. This allowed the juices to go to the bottom of the bowl so I could dump them out. You could use them if you like a runnier salsa. I wanted to try to make a thicker salsa.
Then I halved and cored the peppers, peeled and quartered the onions, and peeled the garlic. They all went on a foil-lined baking sheet and under the broiler for less than 10 minutes (I think they made it about 6 minutes).
When I pulled them out they were pretty charred looking, but ready to go!
I don't have any pictures of the following steps (sorry!). I took the skins off of the tomatoes and discarded them. They slid right off! The tomatoes went into the blender to be chopped up. I have to practice with my blender a bit. I think I may have chopped them up too much. I put them on a big pot on the stove. Then the onions, peppers, and garlic went into the blender to be chopped. I added those to the pot. The the rest of the ingredients were added and it was boiled for 5 minutes.
Then I filled 4 sterilized pint jars. The recipe said I should get 5, but I had 4 plus a little bit extra that went into the fridge (less than a quarter of a pint). I'm guessing this is because I discarded the water from the tomatoes. I think if I had used all roma tomatoes (and no globe tomatoes) that I would have gotten 5 pints.
They were processed in the waterbath canner for 40 minutes. I had one jar with a bit of seepage. I'm not sure what happened, but after doing a some of research, I think I may not have put the lid on tight enough. All of the jars sealed, and are ready to be enjoyed all winter long (if they last that long).