Thursday, August 26, 2010

Charred Tomato and Chile Salsa

I had a bit of a harvest from my garden the other evening.  I picked the first roma and globe tomatoes, as well as some jalapenos and the first 3 cayenne peppers that finally turned red.  I only had about 3 pounds of tomatoes, but I wanted to make some salsa. 
harvested tomatoes
harvested peppers + onions & garlic from farmer's market and CSA box
I recently checked out an awesome book from the local library.  I think it's going to be my new favorite.  I'm going to order it from Amazon soon.  It's called Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry.  It's an amazing book with great recipes and even better pictures.
There is a recipe on page 169 for Charred Tomato and Chile Salsa that I wanted to try.  It called for 3 pounds of tomatoes, 8 ounces of jalapenos (it said red, but I used green).  Those were the exact amounts I had just picked.  It also called for garlic, onions, cider vinegar, salt and a little sugar.  I had everything on hand, so it was time to start!

First I halved and cored the tomatoes.  I then placed them on a foil-lined baking sheet.

I broiled them about 4 inches from the broiler for about 10 minutes until they were charred looking. 
 
Then they went into a bowl to cool until I could handle them.  This allowed the juices to go to the bottom of the bowl so I could dump them out.  You could use them if you like a runnier salsa.  I wanted to try to make a thicker salsa.
Then I halved and cored the peppers, peeled and quartered the onions, and peeled the garlic.  They all went on a foil-lined baking sheet and under the broiler for less than 10 minutes (I think they made it about 6 minutes).
When I pulled them out they were pretty charred looking, but ready to go!

I don't have any pictures of the following steps (sorry!).  I took the skins off of the tomatoes and discarded them.  They slid right off!  The tomatoes went into the blender to be chopped up.  I have to practice with my blender a bit.  I think I may have chopped them up too much.  I put them on a big pot on the stove.  Then the onions, peppers, and garlic went into the blender to be chopped.  I added those to the pot.  The the rest of the ingredients were added and it was boiled for 5 minutes.

Then I filled 4 sterilized pint jars.  The recipe said I should get 5, but I had 4 plus a little bit extra that went into the fridge (less than a quarter of a pint).  I'm guessing this is because I discarded the water from the tomatoes.  I think if I had used all roma tomatoes (and no globe tomatoes) that I would have gotten 5 pints.
They were processed in the waterbath canner for 40 minutes.  I had one jar with a bit of seepage.  I'm not sure what happened, but after doing a some of research, I think I may not have put the lid on tight enough.  All of the jars sealed, and are ready to be enjoyed all winter long (if they last that long).
This post is featured on Simple Lives Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. Ummm... I'm just thinking of how good your kitchen probably smelled with all those vegetables in the oven. Looks great and I bet taste great as well. Thanks again for partying with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a great incentive for me to take up canning! I would love fresh salsa all winter long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look *so* good! Your seepage might be from the jars being too full? There should be a little space between the top of the sauce and the lid.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'm enjoying reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks delicious! I've got the cookbook you mentioned above on hold at my local library, but the tomatoes are ready now! Do you by chance remember the amounts of cider vinegar, etc? I'd just guess, but I know that having the right amount of acidity is pretty important for it canning safely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last fall. Popular with the whole family - I'm exporting the recipe to Scotland! A great standbye for quick appies with pitta chips

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails