Friday, August 27, 2010

Make Your Own Butter

When I decided to try to eat more 'real' food, I thought I'd give butter making a try.  I have a couple of e-friends that I asked for advice (shout out to JuLinda and T.R.).  It's a pretty easy process.  I figured I could try it once, and if it was too difficult, I didn't have to do it again.  It turns out it's simple.  There's the old school method that takes a little more elbow grease, but is fun for kids.  I'm not very athletic, so I chose the new school method. 

What ingredients do you need to make your own butter?  Just heavy whipping cream.  You'll end up with the solid: butter and the liquid: buttermilk. 

Old School Method:  Put heavy whipping cream into a jar and shake until the butter separates from the butter cream.

New School Method:  Use a handy dandy (and seldom used in this house) stand mixer!
I used 2 pints of organic heavy whipping cream.  Pour it into the stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
I really didn't know how high to turn the mixer on.  So, I started it at 4 for about 10 minutes.  It did thicken up a bit and looked like a thick cream.
EDIT:  I now drape a kitchen towel over the mixer so that there is no mess when the butter separates.
Then I decided to turn it up to full speed.
After a couple of minutes it got pretty fluffy.  I think it would be considered 'whipped butter' at this point.
I briefly got distracted.  All of a sudden, I saw my dog licking the floor.  The butter had separated, and was splashing buttermilk all over the place!  I was surprised to see how solid the butter was all of a sudden.
See the nice mess of buttermilk underneath the bowl?  Note to self:  pay better attention next time.
You can put the separated buttermilk aside and use for something else (I have no idea what I'm going to use mine for...I'm taking suggestions...and I'm not big on pancakes).

Then I took the solid butter and put it in a bowl.  I added cold water and kneaded the butter.  I dumped the water out (don't save this water) and repeated until the water came out clear instead of cloudy.
And here's the lovely result!  My beautiful butter!  You can add salt at this point if you want (I chose to make salt-free butter).  You could also get very creative with your butter.  You could add garlic or honey or something spicy.  The sky's the limit.
You can put your butter in any type of container you wish.  I decided to put this butter in a canning jar because I love how they look.  You could wrap it in parchment paper and shape it into rectangles just like the butter you buy at the store.
I don't know why I was surprised to get 1 pint of butter and 1 pint of buttermilk out of the 2 pints of heavy whipping cream...but I was.

After cleaning up, it was time to test it out.  It was getting late, so I just made some toast.  It was the BEST toast I ever had.  I can't even describe the awesome-ness of homemade butter.  I don't think I've ever had a butter taste anywhere close to as good as this butter tasted.
This butter will only keep for about 2 weeks, although you probably won't have a problem finishing it before then!

5 comments:

  1. Looks pretty easy! and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very jealous of your stand mixer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixer envy too! lol And i have made whipped cream like this, but never let it keep going to get butter! Thats great. Im going to have to buy a mixer like yours and make my own butter, lol.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm i might hafta try this!!! i love butter on popcorn! and muffins and ..oh lots lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, that does look easy! Though it's a shame you only could get ultra-pasteurized cream for it this time. I so want a Kitchenaid like that myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails