Friday, August 27, 2010

Pickled Garlic

I really like garlic.  A lot.  It's great in Italian dishes.  It's great in Asian dishes.  It's great in Mexican dishes.  Basically, garlic goes with just about everything.  I thought I'd try canning some!  I found a recipe, and got my Farmer's Market garlic.  Where's my recipe from, you ask?  *Sigh*  I wish I could tell you.  I went nuts for a few weeks and got a bunch of books from the library.  I copied about 100 recipes, and put them in a binder.  Unfortunately, I don't know where the recipes are from when I decide to use them.  I think this recipe is from Williams-Sonoma The Art of Preserving.  I checked my reading history from my library card, and that is the book I narrowed it down to, although I'm not positive.

Here's the lesson in today's post.  Read the WHOLE recipe before you decide to follow it.  I'll tell you why at the end.

First I started with 20 heads of garlic.  Do you know how long it takes to peel 20 heads of garlic?  A very, very, long time.  I peeled garlic in front of the TV.  I peeled garlic while hanging out with the neighbors.  I peeled garlic while my son napped.  I peeled garlic for a weekend.
I then took the zest of 4 meyer lemons.
After preparing the picking liquid (which had some vinegar, salt and lemon juice), I put the garlic, lemon zest and hot red pepper flakes in sterilized jars.
I think they look so pretty!
I filled the jars with the pickling liquid and left a 1/2 inch of head space.
Put the lids on.
And processed them in a waterbath for 3 minutes.
It turned out great!
What's the problem, you ask?  Well, the last line of the recipe states that I should let the garlic cool for 24 hours, the place in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.  Seriously?!  2 weeks?!  Why would I go through so much work and have to use it all right away?  I can't even describe how livid I was.  I know it was my fault for not reading the whole recipe, but I was still angry.  I have since discovered another pickled garlic recipe with an easier way to peel the garlic that is shelf-stable for 1 year that I will use next time.

3 comments:

  1. How unique! Thanks for sharing that with us, too bad about the 2 month life span. I probably would have dont he same thing though... details, details. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award over on my blog tonight. Big Congrats!
    a Latte with Ott, A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! That crack me up...Use all that in 2 weeks? Well, at least they look pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails