Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thai Hot & Sweet Dipping Sauce

My plans for Saturday morning didn't turn out as expected.  I was supposed to go raspberry picking at Witte's Vegetable Farm with my mom and sister-in-law.  However, we got some thunderstorms on Friday night, and the fields were closed on Saturday morning.  *cry*  I had a back up plan, though (and my sister-in-law asked me the last time I did something spontaneous- point taken!).  I ended up getting 40 heads of garlic for a decent price.  Bargaining is not one of my strengths.  I feel like someone will think I'm cheap if I ask for a discount.  But, what's the worst that will happen?  They'll say no.  What do I care if a stranger thinks I'm cheap?  After watching a friend bargain for a few items at the Wisconsin State Fair, I was inspired.  I walked up to the vendor that had the best price and the largest heads of garlic.  I told him I needed 40 heads and asked if he could give me a deal.  He was selling them for $0.75 a piece, and gave them to me for $0.50 each.  I thought 33% off sounded good.  I saved $10.  Score.

Here's the first thing I made with them.  Thai Hot & Sweet Dipping Sauce from Ball's Fresh Preserving website.  I love the combination of sweet and spicy, and I enjoy Asian food, so I thought I'd give this one a shot.

First I peeled the 36 cloves of garlic. 

36 cloves of peeled garlic
I have an awesome garlic press, but I thought I'd save time by pulsing it in my food processor. It was quick and easy. I've got a feeling I'm going to be using this processor more and more.


garlic after being 'pulsed'
Then I mixed the garlic with salt in a bowl and set it aside. 
garlic & salt mixture
Because this recipe is processed for more than 15 minutes, I kept the clean jars hot in the oven until it was time to fill them.
jars keeping warm
Then I prepared the vinegar and sugar mixture.
vinegar and sugar boiling
sugar and peppers
I removed the pot from the stove and added in the peppers and the garlic & salt mixture.
Then I ladled the sauce into the jars, checked the head space, and wiped the rims with a damp paper towel.
I love my Rachel Ray flat-edged ladle!
Next the lids were placed.
And the bands were added to finger-tip tight.
The jars were placed in the waterbath canner, covered with the lid, and processed for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, the cover was removed, and the jars rested in the canner for 5 minutes.  As I removed them, I heard the lovely 'pinging'!  I counted 9 pings!  However, 1 jar failed to seal (my 1st jar ever).  I have no idea what happened.  I placed it in the fridge to be used soon.

The pepper floats to the top and the garlic sinks, but a good shake up, and you're ready to use it!
This recipe yielded 9 half-pint jars plus probably about another half pint that I didn't have a jar ready for.  So, I just put it into a Tupperware container and refrigerated it.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm... very interesting. I've never seen a flat edge ladel, I just may have to go find one. I also use Penzey's spices a lot too. Thanks for linking up to our party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the looks of all that garlic but then you threw in the hot pepper and lost me.

    Im glad I am not the only hoarder of my precious jars ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. That would be great with some egg rolls or wontons. Thanks for sharing.

    Michele @ sweetluvininthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails