Thursday, September 2, 2010

Oven Dried Tomatoes: FAIL

Sometimes, my projects don't work out.  This was one of them.  I have a cherry tomato plant that is producing like crazy.  I've been giving away the tomatoes (I don't like to eat plain tomatoes, but I like sauces).  I thought I'd try to dry them in the oven.  It sounded like an easy process.

I washed the beautiful cherry tomatoes.

Then I stemmed them and cut them in half.  I placed them cut side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I set the oven around 225 degrees.  They went into the oven at about 7:30 pm.

They weren't done at 10:00 (which is when I wanted to go to bed...it was a weeknight).  I turned the oven up to about 250, and made my husband stay up until 10:45 to take them out.

I woke up in the morning to see that they STILL weren't done.  I had an hour before I had to leave, so I put them back into the oven at 250 degrees.  Mistake.  When I took them out an hour later they were crispy and burned.  No picture...but do you really need to know what crispy little tomatoes look like?

I'm not giving up on this project, even though my first attempt was a failure.  I'm going to try again this weekend when I have more time to monitor my tomatoes, and keep the temperature low.  I would have loved to try sun dried tomatoes or dehydrated tomatoes, but sun drying doesn't work in Wisconsin (it's too humid, you'll just get moldy tomatoes) and I don't own a dehydrator (yet).

1 comment:

  1. I make something similar, but much easier-- a Nigella lawson recipe "moonblush tomatoes"- you can find it on nigella.com just search tomato- and all you do is heat the oven to 450, at bedtime, then shut it off, put the tomatoes in and leave them overnight, they are perfect in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails