Sunday, September 26, 2010

Replacement Post

Sigh.  I was hoping to get up a post about making apple pie filling.  However, I failed.  I didn't even make any yet.  My plan for the weekend was to process the rest of the apples that I had picked the previous weekend. 

Here's the deal.  I needed ClearJel.  I thought I already had some ClearJel.  It turns out I didn't.  ClearJel is a form of corn starch.  It's a thickener needed for apple pie filling.  You may be wondering why I didn't just use corn starch.  Because it's not USDA approved.  I try my hardest to only post recipes that follow USDA recommendations. 

Now...I thought I had ClearJel.  It turns out I had Certo.  Certo is a liquid form of pectin.  I swear I'd seen ClearJel in the store before.  I ran to the local Pick 'n Save.  NOPE!  They had Sure Jell, which is a brand of pectin *insert eyeroll here*.  Grrr!


This meant no apple pie filling for me until I could get my hands on some ClearJel.  I ended up ordering some online.  I've got my fingers crossed that they ship quickly.  As a side note, if you ever want to give Pomona's Universal Pectin a try, and order from their website, they ship VERY quickly.  I ordered on a Friday, and received it on the following Monday.



Hopefully an apple pie filling post will be coming in the next week or so.

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. I heard that 1 T. of cornstarch equals 1.5 T. of SureJell. I have used that ratio in a new apple pie filling mix that I used and it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne, I am just tickled by this post because I so know the feeling of happily starting a project and believing completely you have all the ingredients only to find, you dont, and you cant find a sub...Better luck next time! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails