Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Look Back on My First Year of Canning

It's the end of the year, and the end of the year brings lists.  If you know me in real life, you know I like lists.  So, here's a list of things I learned in my first year of canning (in no particular order).

1)  A jar will break into 2 pieces.  I only broke one jar in the waterbath canner, and the reason is still a mystery to me.  But, it broke into 2 clean pieces...the top and the bottom.

2)  I haven't found the right pickle recipe...yet.  Most of the pickles I made sucked.  Some were less sucky than others.  The hamburger slices are my personal favorites, but none of them were excellent or even great.  I tried so many tricks...grape leaves in the jars, soaking the freshly picked cucumbers in ice water, brining the cucumbers first, using Pickle Crisp.  No great successes to speak of.

3) I did not make enough salsa or applesauce to make it through the winter.  To be fair, I didn't know that my 2 year old liked applesauce this much or that my husband would eat salsa EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Apparently, when you make it yourself it really is that much better.

4)  There will never be such a thing as too many Leena's 5 Spice Pickled Cherries.  Ever.  I tried them as an experiment, not really expecting to like them.  Boy was I shocked when I fell in love with them.

5)  A bushel of peaches is probably too many peaches.  The problem with peaches is that they go from unripe to ripe to over ripe in 2 days.  Then you have to take off of work to process them.

6)  Speaking of peaches, Vanilla Bean Peach Jam seems to be everyones favorite.  I'll have to make a lot more next year.  Maybe a bushel of peaches isn't too many...

7)  We eat a lot more jam, jelly, butter when it's homemade.  Before I canned, we didn't buy much.  Now we go through about a jar a week (sometimes more, sometimes less).  It's amazing when a jam actually tastes like the fruit it is instead of sugar! 

8)  Even with the long list of things I canned, I didn't make a dent in the long list of things I still want to can, but haven't.  There are so many delicious recipes out there, but only so much time in the day.

And one more list...

Here's the list of what I 'put up' in 2010 (in reverse canning order)
  • Apple Pie in a Jar
  • Pickled Jalapeno & Fresno Peppers 7 pts
  • Cinnamon Applesauce 9 pts
  • Apple Butter 8.5 1/2 pts
  • Cinnamon Applesauce 5 pts
  • Tomato Jam 6.5 1/2 pts
  • Stolen Grape Jelly 5.5 1/2 pts
  • Apple Butter 6.5 1/2 pts
  • Zesty Habenero Salsa 14 pts
  • Grape Jelly 10 1/2 pts
  • Zesty Habenero Salsa 6 pts
  • Raspberry Preserves 19.5- 1/2 pts
  • Crushed Tomatoes 3 Qts, 1 pt
  • Charred Tomato and Chile Salsa 4 pts
  • Pickled Garlic 6- 1/2 pts
  • Thai Hot & Sweet Dipping Sauce 9- 1/2 pts
  • Pickled Green & Yellow Jalapeno Peppers 6 pts
  • Extra Garlic- Garlic Dill Pickles (I) 2 Qts
  • Kosher-Style Dill Pickles (H) 3 Qts
  • Garlic Dill Pickles (G) 3 pts
  • Pickled Hot Banana Peppers 3 pts
  • Pickled Mucho Nacho Jalapeno Peppers 1 pt
  • Favorite Dill Pickles 4 Qts
  • Fiery Dill Slices 5 pts
  • Peaches in light syrup 5 Qts & 8 pts
  • Leena's Chinese Five Spice Pickled Cherries 5- 1/2 pts
  • Ginger Peach Pineapple Butter 4.5- 1/2 pts
  • Summertime Vanilla Bean Peach Jam 8.5- 1/2 pts
  • Cherry Syrup 6- 1/2 pts
  • Honey-Spiced Peaches 3 Qts
  • Polish Dill Pickles 7 Qts
  • Dill Pickle Slices (E) 3 pts
  • Dill Pickle Slices (E) 6 pts
  • Cherry Relish 1 pt & 2- 1/2 pts
  • Cherries in Wine 5 pts
  • Hamburger Dills (D) 2 pts
  • Kosher Dill Pickle Spears (C) 4 Qts
  • Dill Pickle Spears (B) 3 Qts
  • Dill Pickle Spears (A) 7 pts
  • No Sugar Added Berry Cherry Jam- 4 1/2 pt & 4- 4 oz.
  • No Sugar Added Strawberry Jam

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are using up all your canned goods. I just used some apple pie filing in an apple pear cobbler we had last night for dessert. I like your list, I need to make one for myself. happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about the salsa. My husband made fun of me when I made so much last summer and now I yell at him almost every week when he opens a new jar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can ever can enough applesauce! We just went through out last jar this week. We're lucky to get a jar to make it through two meals in our house. Glad you're enjoying canning so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think about this post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails